Sunday, December 5, 2010

Approaching Fairmount (Day 4)

I made contact with two folks that were going to be greeting me at Fairmount Park and texted "half hour." As I was coming in, the light, the features, the incredible sense of WOW.... this is the water front at FAIRMOUNT PARK!!!!!!  I had to slow down and take it all in. I took about 30 photos just during this time.




As Mary mentioned, I am not a city guy.  A little secret, I have never even visited New York City, not a secret anymore.  My involvement in cities was in a previous law enforcement career and usually that meant I was armed.  But this...it was INCREDIBLE how over taken I was. This last image (above) is of a crew athlete, and this is where human-powered vessels exploded!

And now the city of Brotherly Love:



 The photos really don't do it justice.  You see now what I mean about the light, gorgeous!

Now back to the two folks meeting me.  One was a dear friend, Tom Rowan.  Remember when I mentioned trekking friends and compatibility? I said there only are three people I would want with me on a very challenging adventure, and Tom is one of the three (Ryan Beltz was the first I introduced).

And now for my number one fan and logistics supply:

Judith, on the dock of the Penn Athletic Club!  WOW!! The whole thing was quite a feeling!

I made it to Philadelphia in four days with a stormy start, some required upstream paddling, and now a chance for a wonderful and unforgettable evening in what I have just discovered is a beautiful city, all centered around the rich treasure of the Schuylkill River.
More coming up on my evening in Philadelphia and the famed Boathouse Row.

Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.
Norman Maclean


JOIN THE JOURNEY
Todd Bauman


No comments: