Saturday, December 4, 2010

DAY THREE

12-03-2010   0 Degrees C @ 0840 hrs  Water Temperature was 6 degrees C







Mary promised a photo of the Mouns Jones House.  Here it is.  The above close up is a carved date stone.  It was a really neat building.  The view I gave you is considered the front, facing the river, as the early travelers would approach.

This structure is next to the Mouns Jones House.  The Covered-Bridge Keepers House, 1780.  It is under re-construction due to foundation problems.  This photo is actually kind of cool because it is a cross section of the structure.  See how the fireplace was built on a curve so that it could be tucked into a corner but still moved to the roof top center.  This then allowed room for a stair case to get to the second floor.  Nice work Juan!

Big day, day three.  30 MILES.  I checked it on google pedometer (thanks Sally O'Bryne) to verify.  Overnight the river levels dropped about 18 inches.  Now I still had some current, but the river is also getting wider which means water is more displaced and there is less current anyway.  What I am getting at is I paddled, ALOT.

Here is the beginning of my day.  After blogging, and packing all my stuff, which is a very large task due to all the little gadgets.  phones, camera, computer, each cord that connects or charges or .........  Hopefully, you get the picture.  I move on down to the above structures to photograph.  I am about to load up my canoe and head on my way when I get the urge to utilize the work site job johnny, don't know when you get somewhere close again.  After Juan gives me the key, and I finish my paperwork, I think, this should be captured with a photo.  Out of power, batteries dead.  Now, I know I packed plenty of batteries, plenty.  But, the plenty of batteries bag is in my Philadelphia re-supply, not with me now.  Ooops!  So, I contemplate switching out my headlamp batteries to put in my camera, but I already know I have a long day which could always result in being out after dark and needing my headlamp.  And when you NEED the headlamp, is not the time to be fumbling with lamp and camera near water, you get the picture again.  So I decide to take the historic tunnel structure out of Douglassville to 422.

Did you ever play that game, frogger?  Where you try to dodge the logs, or something like that, well that was what it was like crossing 422 at morning rush hour.  I know that paddling the Bay will be an enormous challenge, but at that point, I was feeling crossing this highway to get to the Wawa was the dangerous task of this expedition.

Batteries and Pepsi purchase, along with many stares related to the homeless looking dude with the pack.  Clerk goes wow, your money really cold.  Thank you?

Now, a later start then I wanted, I do need to make miles.  So I do.  But along the way I see from the river a cool looking old structure that looks lived in, not just preserved.  So I paddle over to take a look and photograph, from the river only.

While standing up in my canoe at river's edge with camera in hand I see someone exiting the side door.  I  don't want to seem rude so I shout, "Howdy!"  Then ask, "how old is your house?"  Another wonderful contact, Kimberley Wolfram, Principal at L&W group in Spring City, approaches and invites me into the yard for better photographs.  It dates back to the mid 1700s and as she knew it was a ferry tenders house back in the day.  I love when we use these old structures, and not just display them, because then history keeps happening and evolving within them.  Thank you Kimberley.  And yes, she has heard of Hawk Mountain and will be visiting soon!




I negotiate what I think was Flat Rock dam, by sweeping river left into the canal, and shooting down a gently sloped spillway, kind of cool and meant, no portage.  I stopped along the way to ask directions, "Where is Washington's Headquarters?".  The gentleman proceeds to give me road directions, I walked up to him, he did not see the canoe.  "No" "From the river?"  After pondering for a moment, he gave me great directions.

I have my destination in sight, it is about four o'clock.  I call Jeanette Arnold, the housing contact with Valley Forge Historical Park, and tell her I am pulling up now.  She then mentions that I can't pull up there, I have to go to the boat launch site.  Which is 2 to 3 more miles down river on the right side.  OK. Government rules, so I paddle down looking for the launch.  At about 4:45 I hear my phone ringing, after wrestling it out of two waterproof bags, I obviously look at the now missed call, and call it back.  Officer Sassaman answers.  "Where you at?"  "I just passed under what I think is 422."  His reply, "you couldn't have because that is past where we are."  "OK, then I passed under another very large highway bridge."  His reply, "there is no other."  No way.  Here the boat launch was on river left, not right.  Ms. Arnold.  I don't think she ever paddled the river?  So I Lewis and Clark'ed it and headed back upstream.  Now I mentioned that the river's current didn't seem that strong earlier.  Well, it seemed plenty strong now paddling up river, for a half mile.  But got there.

My canoe is currently about three miles away next to some parking lot.  Officer Sassaman indicated it should be fine?   I would have trouble finding it even if I wanted to by foot.  I rode in the back of the patrol car, very tired, getting nausea, and kind of hungry, all at the sametime.  I ask what is around where I can get something to eat, order out, either or both.  They very graciously took me to a nearby deli so that I could get a hoagie, bag of chips, hot dog while they made my hoagie, and SWEET, NO WAY, I got an Icy TEEEAAAAA!!!! (actually three).   Then dropped off at my evenings lodging.  

I then push my SPOT locator and get a call from Mary.  I also have a wonderful chat with Board Member Wendy McLean.  She checks in to see if I need anything.  Thanks Wendy!  Then the phone rings again, my dear old friend Mr. Zawada.  "Hey, I am in town for work, what ya up to?"  After knocking on the neighbors door to ask again, "where am I?"  I got to meet up with my comrade and venture out in search of historically significant structures.  Mary will update you on Valley Forge Park.  I will update you on our findings.

A little place down the road called La Taverna.  For those of you not fluent in Italian, it means The Tavern.  And again as all travelers of the past, this is where one must go at the days end.  Now, at first it does not seem like anything historic, at all.  And the real reason we even went there is it was close and the first place we found.  But after sometime it comes up, obviously, if anyone knows about Hawk Mountain, followed by I got here by canoe.  Turns out, I was at a very historic spot, no, really.  Built in 1734 and was called Bull Tavern.  I will be bringing back the menu to prove it!  I want to thank my historians for the evening, Kate Corcoran and Frank Lebo.  They were very informative as the evenings tavern keepers.  You know I have fully gotten to GEEK status because I did not have my camera, but could recognize someone else's smart phone from across the room, A DROID!  Thank you Bruce McMahon for helping document this historic journey!  And yes, they will ALL be checking out Hawk Mountain's website!  It was after all, Karaoke Night at the Bull Tavern!
So, at this point I have been at two still working taverns, and Mr. Zawada was involved in both ventures.   As kids he used to tell his mom I was a bad influence.  Mrs Z, I hope you see now it was the other way around.

For sightings I have forgotten the great blue herons.  I have seen several everyday.  On day two about  ten.  I also forgot to mention a large collection(70 plus) of ring-billed with some herring gulls south of Reading.

Sightings today:
15 Great Blue Herons
50 plus Mallards
17 Black ducks
7 Belted Kingfishers
2 Red-tailed Hawks
30 Canada Geese
17 Common Merganser
HIGHLIGHT!!!  Raft of 16 Bufflehead.  The drakes were stunning.  Three came right over me in flight while banking, AWESOME!
 To date No Eagles.


Thank you everyone for your support thus far!!!

JOIN THE JOURNEY!
Todd Bauman and traveling companion Adidas

No comments: