Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Leaving Fairmount Park, Heading to New Jersey

DAY 5  12-05-2010

Beautiful day, which is good because there was some more adventure ahead.  First one was just re-finding this water feature that was the width of one and a half football fields, the Schuylkill River.  It is featured along Fairmount Park but then it seems to disappear, and it really does.

Jude and I lost track of it very early ... this road, no, take a left here, no, HONK!!! out of towner!  So, as every good tourist does, we stopped in at a mini-mart and asked directions.  First directed toward the gentleman behind the counter and got a blank stare, shoulder shrug, and a point to another customer. This other customer, bless his heart, actually walked outside with me to give a pointing visual of the landmarks and streets.

This type of thing works really well for me if we are standing in wilderness and pointing to the rock outcrop that leads up this ravine through the pass, then follow the stream down to the bigger stream, you get the point.  That is what I understand.  This was far more confusing.  But he did get us close, and I was very thankful.

We get down to Gray's Ferry Road (street?) and still cannot find the river.  I ask a wonderful lady crossing the street, oh yeah, I forgot to mention everybody wants to direct you back to Fairmount Park.  Back to the wonderful lady, after I tell her I want to put the canoe that is tied to the roof of the vehicle into the river and float to Cape May.

She asks why, has heard of Hawk Mountain and has visited many years ago.  She said she will now be making another visit.  She was very helpful and did get us going in the right direction, saying, "I don't know if you can get to it, but you should see it over there somewhere."

Heading in what is the right direction I spotted a sign (in more ways than one)  


Now, for those that know me the Lewis and Clark expedition is one piece of history that enthralls me.  This expedition has been related to something like the first to travel to the moon later in time.  Thomas Jefferson, wanting to find a water route across this vast unknown, and also wanting to see what the United States government just purchased.  $2500 dollars was the federal funding alloted for this expedition which took two years to complete.  And, unlike me, they did not have a SPOT locator sending back the message that they were having the time of their lives.  Indeed, they suffered greatly, lost from time to time (no maps, they were making them), starving, and then the mountains of Montana, the Bitteroots, they barley made it out of them.  But, it was a real scientific expedition, documenting new species, making collections, and making friends with the indigenous people.


Anyway, this was the sign I needed to see,  "We can get in the river here somewhere."  Then we spotted water, and made our approach.  Now, I am going to show you this place, but don't show it to any railroad folks.  There was a break in the fence and the drop off wasn't too bad, so this is it.  "Get out the gear!"  Now, with gearing up for remainder of the trip I needed additional supplies, cooking and camping stuff, for ten days out.  The spray deck was also going back on the vessel.  This was alot of work, and I was growing more and more anxious as time went on to get going, Today was the Big Day of crossing the Delaware, and I wanted to do in daylight.

 All the gear.  Lots of gear!

There is a framework that I constructed for the spray deck.  My contribution to the project was not at the same caliber as Judith's.  But there is always duct tape!  I felt this needed a few extra wrappings, so I used plenty of duct tape!
Working on putting on the cover, it was much easier in Schaumboch's living room on the couch.  Luckily the boat and I were firmly resting on a mat of debris and yuk!


Now, putting on the dry suit.  This is not easy, and an early story is when I first got the item through a connection of my daughters, I put it on in my living room, and could not get it off.  I was literally stuck in this thing.  She was there because she delivered it, to assist me out.  So, I have practiced a few times, but it is still a procedure.

And when I am in it I kind of look like a superhero, that is kinda of cool!

As long as no one watches me trying to put it on.



So, suit on, and now even more anxious than ever.  Making my phone calls to folks down river on my estimated arrival time.  Now, when I say more anxious than ever.  This constant connection, blogging, etc... is all a first time thing for me.  This is not what I do when I do treks.  I like to be out and about to get away from phones, computers (which I somehow managed this pretty well prior), and communicating constantly (sometimes I could manage this also).  So, I want to get going on, I got all this extra stuff, I am dropping myself off a small bank amongst urban crazy, and I just wan to get the _ _ _ _ out of here.  I am now in the boat, I realize I do not have the _ _ _ _ SPOT locator accessible.  This is all while balancing on the debris and Yuk!  I lose it a little.  Several bad words, a few bangs of stuff, you get the point.

Located the SPOT locator, took a deep breath, and FINALLY shoved off (after 1 pm).

Thank you Judith for everything!!!!  Bringing me my stuff, lugging it around, and watching me have a two year old temper tantrum.  And for taking this series photos!

I am on my way, and I am taking in the sites of this part of the city.  I thought this road sign was kinda of neat from the river perspective.  After I took this photo, I started thinking.  Now remember I took this picture moving forward.  What does this mean?

I AM GOING THE WRONG WAY!!!!

In all my angst, and rush, and you know.  I got to paddling with what seemed like a current, due to tides and wind, and it was the wrong way.  Now, do not fret, it was not for very long, maybe ten minutes.  It was the best thing for me at the time because it allowed me to laugh out loud at myself and reminded me of a great life lesson, which I should have learned for good by now, which is getting upset and rushing really does not get you where you want to be any faster.

So, I thought I would make this an experiment.  Across the river was a park setting with folks recreating along the river.  I paddle over and asked a very lovely young woman walking two dogs, "which way is New Jersey?"  She pondered for a moment, and said, "I don't know."  "Which way does the river flow?"  "I don't know, I only moved here over a year ago."  "But I do know the Museum is that way!"  

This once again led to a quick discussion about Hawk Mountain Sanctuary and as I pulled away she was looking up our website on her SMART PHONE.  

Back in the right direction (now remember Lewis and Clark had gotten lost a few times also).  I was taking in the sites of the city.  I know Mary mentioned she was wondering what this looks like, here are some.

I do not know what this structure is, but there were a number of  "Help Me" cries out several of the caged windows.


 I do believe where I could re-find the river I missed some downtown, so sorry Mary!  And where I put it  in I was quickly in some major industrial areas.












The excitement is building to see the confluence of the Delaware and the "hidden river" Schuylkill.  And another challenge is in the crossing.  Mary's concern as I read was passing the ship yards.  Here they are.




Now as she Blogged, very accurately from my point, except the part she said to Joey she was going to kill me.  Is I verified conditions, and picked my course, and was just about to go for it, when the Mission Impossible theme is in my head, which is my phone ring.  I do pick it up thinking it could be someone checking up on me this late in the day and the last thing I want is someone to call the Coast Guard or something drastic.  So I answered.  And as Mary described is how that call went.  Isn't it cute how she cares about me, her little boy out away from home for the first time!  I really do appreciate all she is doing.  And MARY DOES ROCK!

Well, I went for it and here is a short video clip after I made it to an island over half the way and on the other side of the main channel.





At this point I make the call to my contact for the evening.  I am tired and really want to know how much farther, and wanting to avoid me paddling past.  We converse, I get a drink and snack, and I begin.  

Now the wind is westerly, which was great for making the crossing, but is not ideal for paddling along the West shoreline.  It wants to keep pushing against the shore.  After making another small cove crossing and literally blown into it.  I make the decision, thats it.  And I make the call saying I will not be making it.  It is dark now.  This wonderful voice indicates, "I will pick you up."  AWESOME!!!!


I grounded at a place called River Winds, which is an upscale restaurant in West Deptford, NJ.  I begin to carry out all my stuff and drag the boat above high tide line and tie it very securely.  I was then delivered to a safe warm place called.


Is this not a sign or what!  Here is my Paulsboro borough welcoming committee!


Elsie Tedelski, Bobby DeAngelo, Marc Kamp, and Carmen Tedeschi


So after they fed me dinner of a large cheesesteak and fries I settled in to BLOG.  Their hospitality was wonderful.  Elsie is the one that picked me up and Bobby then returned me the next morning.  Thank you so much!  And, thats right, they are also invited to the spring party! 

JOIN THE JOURNEY
Todd Bauman


4 comments:

Catbird said...

I'm sorry you missed Bartram's Garden, which you likely passed. It's an odd and welcome oasis in the midst of the industrial gloom. Bon voyage!

SallyO said...

Great photos of our very own 'Gritty City'. When you decide to do the crossing again next summer, I'll gladly tag along.

nesreddevil said...

Greetings from the north Todd. Looks like the trip is going well. Blog was a great idea. Good luck out there.

Lissa Wood said...

"...which is getting upset and rushing really does not get you where you want to be any faster."

The was the exact advice I needed for today. Thank you.

It sucks dragging all that gear around for the sake of all of us watching you as you go but all of your efforts are making a huge impact on others. Even if it just a few photos and words.