Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Eve of Departure

 11-30-2010

Eve of departure.  A close friend, Ryan Beltz, just returned back from Alaska- Bless him for assisting me move my boat down to river side.

It is also good to talk over details with close friends who have experience.  I should mention at this time that I have only a few close friends that I feel compatible for adventure bagging.  Mr. Beltz is one of those friends.  We have been on a few ventures here and there and I know we have only just begun.  He has experienced a great deal


more than his 27 years should allow.  He is the ultimate, "Renaissance Man".  A degree in Photo Journalism with a minor in Biology, and last year completed his Masters in Literature.  A comparative look at some of the great nature writers mixed with his own life experience and wilderness values.  He is an excellent carpenter, backcountry ranger, and a hell of a friend.  Thank you Ryan!

Things are finally feeling quiet, except for what sounds like a monsoon beating the old window panes.  It should be a quick ride tomorrow, plenty of water volume.  Just three months ago I was worried about having to drag my canoe the first 8 or so miles.  Now from what I hear outside the windows and hitting the roof I just need to hang on for the ride!

But I am very happy to finally be pulling out and getting underway tomorrow.  It has been a fantastic fall season and I feel very fortunate to be bringing it to a close with this journey.  Again I want to thank everyone for all there support!  All the kind words and thoughts are wonderful.  The shirt I am wearing on this eve is one of local Troop 104 with all their signatures, thank you so much for this very special gift!  I want to share another special attachment I was sent today.
 

Thank you so much Amy Haus!  Amy is one of the many very dedicated Hawk Mountain Volunteers and a friend.  With support like this nothing is going to stop me, not even this storm!

See ya on the River!
JOIN THE JOURNEY
Todd Bauman

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Todd! nI will keep my eye on your blog!
Zoltan

Todd Bauman said...

Is this the Zoltan Domahidi! THanks so much!