Saturday, November 27, 2010

Equipment Ready!


As folks would imagine a trek of this caliber takes some gear.  Most was already in my arsenal of equipment.  But there are several pieces I needed to pick up for the journey.  Everybody has seen my Mac in other photos.  Many would think taking a computer along on a multi-day winter paddle is not the most sound idea.  I thought that as well, so I purchased what I was told would offer the best protection.  A Pelican Case.


Now, I wanted to be sure it was a wise purchase and would truly offer the protection I wanted.  So with the help of my lovely assistant, daughter Cody, I tested the case.   It was a live test by dropping it off of the bridge into the Little Schuylkill River.  

Well, you may want to know how that all turned out.

I am still BLOGGING!
(Please-Do Not Try This At Home)





Another item was something to protect me from the  elements, especially if something bad happened.  I picked up a NRS drysuit.  This is a special garment that completely seals your body from getting wet, even if you decide to go for a half hour swim outside your home.
It is great to live right at expedition headquarters.

The last piece of special equipment was the spray deck cover.  It is complete and canoe is ready!  The Hawk Mountain interns stopped by for final inspection.
IT PASSED!!!!  A few even got in and gave it the real test, the couch ride.


All systems are a go.  Only four days away.  I did most of my food preparation today.  All that is left to do is shove off!

JOIN THE JOURNEY

4 comments:

Sally said...

How about the little HMS flag that will be flying from the rear of the canoe?

susan_fordyce said...

Good Luck, Todd, you nut!! I will follow your blog posts with great interest, especially when you reach the mouth of the Schuylkill and paddle into the Delaware and beyond.
May the river gods be with you.

Sue Fordyce
P.S. do you have a whistle in your pile of equipment?

Todd Bauman said...

Hey Susan, yes I do, strapped to my PFD with my cool looking river knife! And on the Mighty Delaware I will be equipped with a fog horn. Thanks so much for your support!

Todd Bauman said...

Hey Sally!
I got one and it will be along! Look for it. Tomorrow I am heading out with the spray deck, so it may not be furling in the wind tomorrow. THanks again for everything!!!